Red Hawk Homeowners Association
Board of Directors Executive and Regular Meetings

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Village Inn Restaurant, Castle Rock

download this page 96k pdf

ATTENDEES:  Directors Jim Young, President; Ralph Jollensten, Vice President; Walt Figel, Treasurer; Lisa Goodwin, Secretary; Don Van Dyken, Member at Large. Dave Littler, Property Manager, Peak to Peak Property Management.



MEETING AGENDA:  See attached.

EXECUTIVE SESSION:  The Board of Directors meet in executive session on January 2, 2017 and discussed Policies and Procedures for the Collection of Unpaid Assessments and the current Accounts Receivable.


The general meeting was called to order at 6:10 pm


Several residents were in attendance to discuss the Board's proposed amendment to the HOA's rule regarding off-leash dogs.  Mr. Blaine? stated he is adamantly opposed to the dog control ordinance as presented and added that the Town of Castle Rock adequately controls dog behavior, HOA does not have the resources to manage this activity, doing so would create increased costs for the homeowners, and the amended rule potentially opens up the Board to lawsuits.  Mr. Blaine? added that we should leave this to the Town and work with the Town's enforcement. Mr. Blaine? suggested the HOA focus on beautification issues for the community.

Residents Name? and Name? Warren agreed with Mr. Blaine? and stated that they have rarely if ever have seen dogs off leash in the community. Mr. and Mrs. Warren suggested that the HOA ask animal control to patrol our community more often. Mr. Warren stated that if there are homeowners that are angry with a neighbor they could create a claim that the HOA would have to investigate.  Mrs. Warren stated that this policy could deter people from buying homes in our community and will be a bigger problem then it helps.

Director Young thanked the residents for coming before the Board and stated that the Board would take all of the feedback into consideration in making a decision.

Mr. Littler referenced the resolution on the website that speaks to the adoption and modification of the policies and procedures of the community.  Director Young stated that there is a homeowner's book that is available for purchase, otherwise all of the relevant documents are on the website for download and review.


Upon motion duly made and seconded, the Board unanimously approved the November minutes as presented.

There was no Board meeting in December.

Director Van Dyken asked Mr. Littler if he had spoken with our insurance agent regarding our need for Worker's Compensation insurance. Mr. Littler reported that he had not yet received a response from the insurance company, but would contact Director Van Dyken on Monday with answer.


Mr. Littler presented the November/December financial report.

  1. The Board agreed to add an additional line item called "Ground Maintenance Repairs", item number 6411, under Landscape expenses
  2. The Board discussed the cost for backflow testing.
  3. Water and Electricity are over budget however an adjusted budget number was included into the 2017 budget.
  4. The Board directed Mr. Littler to return $400 to the Reserve fund, along with the first quarter contribution to the Reserve fund.


Upon motion duly made and seconded, the Board approved the November/December Financial report as presented.

Director Goodwin questioned the line item for A/R Processing Fee. It was discussed that the property management contract allows for the collection of a processing fee to retrieve accounts in arrears.  Mr. Littler stated that although this provision is in the agreement he has not previously collected a fee, however after the comprehensive review of the A/R by Director Figel this fee became necessary in order to complete all of the A/R activities and to bring delinquent accounts current.

Steve Muller, President of Red Hawk 3 was present before the Board to ask the status of parking alongside Red Hawk drive in front of the Townhome community.  Director Young stated he has been working with our City Council representative Jason Bower to get this done.  Director Young reported this issue will be entirely resolved once the apartment community in construction has been completed.

Advanced on the Agenda Modification to the Policies for the Collection of Unpaid Assessments

This item was sent out for resident comment and no comments were received. The Board thanked Director Figel for his work on this issue. Director Figel stated that we added the requirement for a Certified Letter however by law a letter that is mailed first class is considered as delivered.


Upon motion duly made and seconded, the Board approved the Unpaid Collections policy as presented.

Advanced on the Agenda

Policy on the Control of all Domestic Animals

Director Figel reported that our Attorney suggested an amendment to the policy (a handout of the amendment was provided to the Board). The Board reviewed and discussed the amendment.  Director Figel reported that following a motion to approve the amendment, the policy will be reposted to the web for resident input and feedback for a period of 14 days.  The policy would then be approved at a later Board meeting after the required time.


Upon motion duly made and seconded, the Board approved to adopt the modification and amend the draft policy with the suggested changes as presented, and to post the amended animal control policy to HOA's website for a period of 14 days in order to allow for resident comment and feedback prior to final approval.

The Board directed Mr. Littler to send an email to the residents in attendance thanking them for their input and to include the modified policy for their review.

Management Report Discussion

Mr. Littler reported....

Old Business
  1. ARR Report

The Board discussed several accounts that are in the ARR process. Twenty accounts were turned over to the attorney one of which is in Chapter 13. The Board discussed that where there is more than one person on the deed all individuals should receive a letter.


Regarding violations, Mr. Littler provided the Board with a community compliance report by home.  Most cleared except weeds at 1656 Marsh Hawk Cir.


Collections ready to be forwarded to the attorney on the first.

Waiver Late Fee Request

Board considered waiving late fee for homeowner who was out of town (she had never been late) Approved.


A.  Holiday Lights Turned Off and Down This Week

The turning off of the holiday lights is scheduled to coincide with the Star on the rock and the National Western Stock show.  It was noted that the Meadows Community and the Town of Castle Rock also follow this same standard for turning off their holiday lights.

Colorado Property Care Bids (2)

Director Figel presented the two bids for landscape improvement by Colorado Property Care.  Director Figel reported the work is to improve the areas near Red Hawk Drive that have bare wood-mulch beds and exposed landscaping fabric. The Board discussed the bids and approved the expense as presented.

Dave Tree Maintenance Proposal (2017)

This agenda item was deferred to the next Board meeting to allow for time to review the area relative to the bid proposal.  Director Goodwin and Director Van Dyken suggested getting competitive bids for comparison.  Mr. Littler stated he would get another two bids for the work.

The next Board meeting is scheduled for February 23, 2017, 6 pm at Village Inn Restaurant.


Upon motion duly made and seconded, the Board unanimously approved to adjourn the January 2017 Board of Directors Meeting at

Respectfully Submitted by Board Director, Secretary, Lisa Goodwin



Webmaster | Site Map | Copyright © 2009-2018 Peak to Peak Property Management LLC